The input activities—surveys, stakeholder conferences, task force reports—provided an inventory of significant items to be addressed in strategic planning and in the creation of strategic directions and initiatives.
Patterns in responses to studies and questions revealed the following:
- Most distinctive attributes: teacher education, affordability, diversity, faculty-student relationships, location, quality of teaching, and caring faculty.
- Most frequently cited driving forces: economic change and changing demographics.
- Most frequently cited areas for improvement of student life: advisement, communication, food service, online registration, parking, and safety.
- Most frequently cited needs to enhance the student educational experience: advising, technology, standards for part-time faculty, online registration, more faculty, and improved course availability.
- Most frequently cited educational experiences that should be common to all students: challenging academic programs,community service, and availability of courses.
- What Buffalo State should be known and respected for in the future: high academic standards, quality student-centered services, state-of-the-art technology, best overall comprehensive public college, community involvement, well-prepared graduates, regional leadership, quality of teaching and learning.
- Most important things to be done to take Buffalo State to the next level: marketing; improved advisement, registration, and course availability; rigorous standards and curriculum; investment in faculty; and improvements in technology and infrastructure.