Teacher Certification
New York State Teacher Certification requirements are being revised. Please contact your department or the Teacher Certification Office for current information.

New York Certification
All students who successfully complete an approved program in teacher education will be recommended to the New York State Education Department for a teaching certificate. Applications for certification can be obtained from the Teacher Certification Office in Caudell Hall 101.

The New York State Education Department requires satisfactory performance on a series of examinations before a certificate can be issued.

Teacher Certification Examination
Successful completion of portions of the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations are required for New York State certification in all areas. Information can be obtained from the Teacher Certification Office.

Interstate Certification
As a participant in the Interstate Certification Project, New York has reciprocity agreements with a number of other states allowing Buffalo State graduates to be certified there. These include reciprocity for classroom teachers, vocational teachers, and administrative personnel in various states. The New York State Teacher Certification Examinations may not be acceptable in other states. Students should check with individual states to determine specific requirements.

Drugs, Alcohol, Tobacco, and Child-Abuse Identification Instruction
All registered teacher-education programs leading to certification for teaching in the early childhood and upper-elementary grades (N-6) or the early childhood, upper elementary grades, and an academic subject in the early secondary grades (N-9) shall include adequate preparation regarding instruction in alcohol, tobacco, and drug abuse. Students in these registered programs will have met the requirement within the course content of required child-development courses. While instruction regarding the abuse of drugs, alcohol, and tobacco is not required by the state in secondary certification programs, many students in secondary programs are advised to take coursework in these areas.

All individuals applying for teaching, school service personnel, and administrative-supervisory certification are required to provide evidence of having completed the required curriculum in the identification and reporting of suspected child abuse or maltreatment. Students in registered programs will be directed by the department as to the procedure to follow. Certification-only students will be required to take a separate course in child abuse or complete the child abuse seminar offered by the Center for Development of Human Services.

Certification for B.S./B.A. Degree Holders
Holders of a B.S. or B.A. degree may complete certification requirements in secondary education programs. It is advised that they communicate with the appropriate department to determine the correct admissions procedure. Please note:

  1. A department may require subject matter courses in the major area to remove deficiencies.
  2. All professional education requirements and any subject matter courses must be completed before the student teaching semester.
  3. A full semester of student teaching (12-15 credit hours) must be successfully completed.

Holders of a B.S. or B.A. degree interested in elementary education only should contact the Graduate Studies Office, Cleveland Hall, for application to a special postbaccalaureate degree program.

Transportation to Off-Campus Instructional Sites
Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to off-campus sites for required courses, including student teaching and participation.