The college uses letter grades to indicate the status of a student at the completion of a course. All grades are awarded at the sole discretion of the faculty member responsible for the course. A grade must be submitted for every student on the course roster at the end of the semester. Students will be apprised of evaluation policies in each class at the beginning of every semester. This information will also include notification, where appropriate, that the plus/minus grading system will be used as determined by the instructor. Instructors will inform students of their standing in each course by the end of the ninth week of the semester, or two-thirds of a summer session or intersemester. Questions regarding grading policies or an individual grade received in a particular course should be addressed to the instructor or to the department chair.

Grades awarded by the college are:

A = Superior
B = Above Average
C = Average
D = Below Average
E = Failure or unofficial withdrawl from course
S = Satisfactory
U = Unsatisfactory
P = Pass
F = Fail

The following letters are used to indicate status:

I = Incomplete
N = Grade delayed
X = Grade not submitted
W = Withdrawn

Explanation of Grades
S (satisfactory) and U (unsatisfactory) grades are reserved for student teaching or other field experiences that are not readily evaluated by the normal letter grades and basic skills courses.

P (pass) and F (fail) grades are given for courses taken on a pass-fail basis (see description below). They may be submitted only under proper authorization.

W (withdrawn) grades may be submitted only when a student has formally withdrawn from a course.

I (incomplete) grades may be submitted only when the department chair or program coordinator has been properly notified.

N (grade delayed) grades may be given when coursework normally carries over from one semester to another and when it is necessary to delay grading to a subsequent semester. This is intended for graduate theses/projects and internships. N grades may be submitted only with the permission of the department chair or program coordinator.

Incomplete Grades
An incomplete grade is a temporary grade issued for medical emergencies or life crises. Students must request an incomplete grade directly from the instructor.

An incomplete grade is converted to a letter grade by the 10th week of the following spring or fall semester. If the work is not completed by that time, the instructor will submit a grade based upon the amount of work completed. If the instructor who granted the incomplete is not able to evaluate the student's fulfillment of course requirements during the stipulated time period, the chair or program coordinator is responsible for changing the grade.

Pass-Fail Option
The pass-fail option permits any matriculated student who has accrued at least 15 credit hours and a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 to take a course for credit without receiving a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or E. Students may enroll in one course each semester or summer on a pass-fail basis. All sessions combined make up the summer semester. A P grade provides credit but no quality points and is not counted in total hours used to determine cumulative average. An F grade is treated as a failure although the hours are not used in computing the cumulative average.

A pass-fail credit may be applied toward a degree. Courses required for the student's major and minor cannot be taken on a pass-fail basis. Courses taken as part of early childhood and childhood education program concentrations and distributions may not be taken pass-fail.

Any course, except English composition 100-level courses and those required for completion of a major or minor, may be taken on a pass-fail basis.  Students must declare their intention to do so by the end of the tenth week of classes in any semester or after two-thirds of a summer session or intersemester. After receiving the approval signature of the student's adviser, a declaration of intent must be filed with the Registrar's Office, Moot Hall, by the published deadline. An instructor may choose to substitute a letter grade for the pass if written consent from the student is received and the form is submitted with final grades. Once an application for pass-fail has been submitted, the pass-fail option for that semester has been exhausted. Subsequent filing of a substitution form to receive a letter grade does not allow submission of another pass-fail application for that semester.

Students may not use pass-fail to repeat a course for which a grade of C- or below was earned.

Note: Students are cautioned that the amount of pass-fail work permitted may jeopardize their chances for admission to graduate or professional school or for career placement.

Unit of Credit (Credit Hour)
The semester hour is the unit of course credit. It represents completion of one 50-minute class period per week for one semester. A course having three class periods a week will earn 3 semester hours of credit. Studio and laboratory classes usually earn 1 credit for each two hours of attendance unless otherwise indicated. The college expects student preparation of two hours for each hour in class.