Locally, an anthropological section of the Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences was formed first in 1920, but only lasted a year or so. An archaeological section was formed in 1935, but similarly dissolved within a year. A second anthropological section was formed in 1945. This group lasted until 1953 when it became the Frederick M. Houghton Chapter of the NYSAA with Gorden J. Schmahl as our first president.
Our Chapter helped to establish the Ansley Wilcox Mansion on the National Historic Site Register. The Chapter grew under the expert and energies of Dr. Marian E. White. We have served as crew members on numerous excavations (e.g. Eaton Site), and assisted in cleaning, cataloguing, and numbering artifact collections. Our own collections of Chapter excavations are housed at the M.E. White Research Museum at the UB Anthropology department.