Art Education (K-12), B.S.Requirements for students to enroll and remain in the art education program:
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in their primary major.
- Submit a completed SUNY application.
- Submit a portfolio (see below).
Art Education (K-12; Certification Only)
This program is for students who have already earned a B.A./B.F.A. degree in one studio area and are interested in earning art teacher certification.
The art education postbaccalaureate certification program offers a course sequence meeting the educational requirements for certification. Students are expected to complete the required sequence, and are responsible for any additional certification requirements established by the New York State Education Department, Teacher Certification Division, including the New York State Teacher Certification Examinations, and the Child Abuse and Classroom Violence Seminars.
In order to be eligible for the program the applicants must:
- Have and maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5, and a minimum GPA of 3.0 in the program, which includes fine arts, design and art education coursework.
- Submit a completed SUNY application
- Submit a portfolio
Art Education (K-12), M.S.
- A certificate of qualification (CQ) or New York State provisional (initial after 2/1/04) certificate for teaching art.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (4.0 scale) and a minimum 3.0 GPA in the major area of study, or a combined score of 1,000 on the verbal/quantitative portion of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- An interview with the Art Department chair.
Variances to these prerequisites may be appealed to the department chair.
Advisement: Advisors are assigned by the department. They should be consulted at all decision points. Students, however, remain responsible for knowing and fulfilling department and college regulations specific to the programs that are housed in the department.
Guidelines for Submission of Portfolios
As an applicant for admission to the Art Education Program, you are required to submit a portfolio of your best work. The portfolio should be submitted in one of the two following formats:
- A digital portfolio submitted on a CD. Follow the above guidelines and submit as JPEG files or as a Power Point presentation.
- Original artwork may be submitted, i.e. drawings, prints, watercolors, etc. These pieces are not to exceed 18” x 24”. Plastic or paper covers should protect original works.
All work should number at least twelve (12) pieces and no more than twenty (20) pieces. If the portfolio needs to be returned to you, you are responsible for either the postage, or the pick-up of the portfolio. A self-addressed, stamped envelope should be included for return of materials. Insurance, if any, is also the responsibility of the applicant. The Art Education Department cannot be responsible for the cost of shipping.
Please submit your application to:
Art Education Department
Bishop Hall 103
1300 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo, NY 14222
Your work will be reviewed and returned to you with attendant comments (if any) as soon as possible. We look forward to seeing your work. Information about the Art Education Department, including admission requirements, can be found on this website or by calling (716) 878-4106.