During the 1997–1998 academic year, the goal was clear for progress at Buffalo State: expand research opportunities for faculty and staff. The college took a calculated risk in hiring a leading local researcher, William Wieczorek, and charging him with developing and directing the Center for Health and Social Research. It paid off, and the center today provides Buffalo State with influential connections to agencies in Western New York and beyond.
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Janet E. Ramsey, dean of University College, is retiring on June 1 with mixed feelings. “I love my job and I love Buffalo State,” she said. “But I reflected very carefully, and I’m ready to live a life that’s a little less demanding.”
The Orientation Office and University College will take a new approach this summer to course registration for first-year students. Based on students’ preferences and declared majors, University College advisers will create a schedule of classes for each student before orientation. Administrators hope the move will improve retention and graduation rates.
Learning how to use a new piece of equipment requires an adjustment period. In the classroom, students and teachers have had to adapt to technology at a staggering pace during the past few decades. From calculators to smart boards, many new tools have been developed to assist pedagogy. The latest is “clickers,” and with the help of a minigrant from the College and Community Partnerships Office, assistant professor of elementary education and reading Keli Garas-York and her EDU 311W students studied their effectiveness on literacy teaching methods in fall 2007.
- NCATE Board of Examiners’ Visit
- Curricular Actions
- Laws Governing the Confidentiality of Student Records
- Appointment: Associate Vice President and Comptroller
- Focus on Sabbatical: John Song
- Center for Health and Social Research Provides 10 Years of Intellectual Development
- Focus on College and Community Partnerships: Keli Garas-York, EDU 311W
- Bruce G. Bryski, Associate Professor, Communication
- Barbara J. Dray, Assistant Professor, Exceptional Education
- Heidi Dietz Faletti, Associate Professor, English
- Travis Ingersoll, Jill Norvilitis, Zhang Jie, Shuhua Jia, and Sheldon Tetewsky
- Michael Johnson, Associate Professor, Modern and Classical Languages
- Zhang Jie, Professor, Sociology
A dozen youngsters participated in an annual boat-building event on Sunday, sponsored by Buffalo State College’s Maritime Center. Aided by a grant from the Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo, professors and student mentors work with kids for five weeks as they build rowboats made of marine plywood.