As the fall 2008 semester begins, I am delighted to welcome back to campus all of you who have been away for the summer break, and I thank all of you who worked hard preparing the campus for the upcoming academic year. I trust that each of you had a relaxing yet productive summer.
The Buffalo State College community is delighted to extend a warm welcome to Mark W. Severson, Ph.D., the new dean of the School of Natural and Social Sciences.
Jill K. Singer, professor of earth sciences and director of the Undergraduate Research Office, has received the 2008 SUNY Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities, honoring her exceptional service to Buffalo State College and the State University of New York.
Zhang Jie left Beijing, China, this summer just before the Olympics craze. But he’s been there nearly a dozen times. The professor of sociology has served as director of the Center for China Studies at Buffalo State College since its inception in 2000. And he has seen an increased awareness of China on campus during the past eight years.
- Bulletin Changes
- Welcome Back
- Appointment: Dean of the School of Natural and Social Sciences
- Appointments: Buffalo State College Council
- Singer Receives SUNY Chancellor’s Award
- Admissions Office Personnel Changes
- 2008–2009 Holiday Observances for College Employees
- Change in Travel Agency
- Requests for Scholarship and Creative Titles for Presentation
- Reminder: ‘Inconvenient Truths’ Needed, Funding Available
- College Senate Standing Committees Need Members
- Curricular Items
- Curricular Actions
- Buffalo State College General Policy against Discrimination and Harassment
- Revised Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- Buffalo State Welcomes 17 Chinese Students Displaced by Earthquake
- First-Year Convocation: Welcome the Class of 2012
- Young Alumnus Achievement Awards Reception
- Performing Arts Center at Rockwell Hall Announces 2008–2009 Great Performers Series
- 55-Foot Mural Donated to Music Department
- Grants and Gifts
- Center for China Studies Serves as Academic, Service Center
- Saziye Bayram, Assistant Professor, Mathematics
- Jane R. Cushman, Assistant Professor, Mathematics
- Robin Harris, Associate Professor, Earth Sciences and Science Education
- Michael Littman, Associate Chair and Associate Professor, Business
- Sam Lunetta, Lieutenant, University Police
- Deborah Silverman, Assistant Professor, Communication
- John Thompson, Associate Professor, Computer Information Systems
Nine family portraits that belonged to James Joyce, including two of the literary giant himself, have been restored by Buffalo State College art conservators and will be showcased for the first time during the 2009 North American James Joyce Conference in Buffalo.
He may call himself the singing professor, but Andrea Guiati really is a serious thinker. As a professor of modern and classical languages at Buffalo State College, Guiati has taught students of all ages to appreciate the art of cinema through his summer series of outdoor movies. But before Guiati entered academia, he discovered music, the Beatles, and played his way around the world.