Buffalo State College will hold its 137th Commencement celebration on Saturday, May 16, in the college Sports Arena. More than 2,500 students will receive their degrees during two baccalaureate ceremonies and one master’s hooding and C.A.S. ceremony. The college will award a SUNY honorary doctor of letters to playwright Marsha Norman, keynote speaker for both undergraduate ceremonies. Alan November, educational technology consultant, will deliver the commencement address at the 6:00 p.m. master’s hooding and C.A.S. ceremony.
The Buffalo State College Council announced Monday that it will recommend Dennis K. Ponton, provost and vice president for academic affairs, as interim president of the college, effective August 1. Ponton’s recommendation is expected to be confirmed later this month at a meeting of the State University of New York (SUNY) Board of Trustees.
A minor long requested by students is now officially part of Buffalo State’s academic curriculum. The international relations minor, housed in the Political Science Department, focuses on the interactions and interconnectedness of nation-states and has applications for a variety of careers.
The Buffalo State Mock Trial team took part in the Finger Lakes Regional Mock Trial Tournament held at Syracuse University in February. “We did better than we did last year,” said team coach Jon Lines, lecturer in the political science department.
- Provost Ponton Recommended as Interim President
- Curricular Actions
- Call for Submissions: Faculty and Staff Research and Creativity Fall Forum
- New York State Health Insurance Program (NYSHIP) Dependent Eligibility Verification Project
- One-on-One Counseling with TIAA-CREF Representatives
- College Senate and Senate Caucus Meetings
- Curricular Items
- ‘GEAR UP’ Carries On through Student- and Faculty-Run Career Fairs
- Commencement 2009
- International Relations Minor Brings the Classroom to the World
- Sue Baldwin, Assistant Professor, Health and Wellness
- Sharon Cramer, SUNY Distinguished Service Professor, Exceptional Education
- Gerhard Falk, Professor, Sociology
- Maryruth Glogowski, Associate Vice President for Library and Instructional Technology, E. H. Butler Library
- Drew Kahn, Chair and Professor, Theater
- Meredeth Lavelle, Senior Staff Assistant, Art Conservation
- Bill Raffel, Associate Professor, Communication
- Ted P. Schmidt, Associate Professor, Economics and Finance
- Coralee Smith, Associate Professor, Elementary Education and Reading
The appointment of Provost Dennis K. Ponton as interim president of Buffalo State College is expected to be quickly affirmed by trustees of the state university system.
Amid the rising unemployment numbers, many people who have not looked for a job in years are turning to their alma maters for help. Buffalo State College has seen a surge in interest from its alums, many of whom live in the area, said Stephanie Zuckerman-Aviles, director of the school’s Career Development Center.
It’s been a spring to celebrate accomplishments on the field at Buffalo State. For the women’s lacrosse team, it’s been a coming-of-age story. For the softball team, it’s been a pleasant return to the joys of focusing on a game instead of the greater lessons of life. Both are trying to win State University of New York Athletic Conference championships, which will be decided this weekend.