UUP Discretionary Awards
From the President
Letters notifying UUP employees that they have been awarded a discretionary salary increase for 2008 were mailed on Tuesday, October 28. UUP employees who did not receive an award letter and who self-nominated are reminded that they may appeal the decision by November 5, 2008, as follows:
- The preliminary list of discretionary awards will be shared with vice presidents, deans, directors, and department chairs on the date discretionary award recipient letters are mailed to employees.
- Any eligible faculty or professional staff member who is not notified by the president of an award by the designated date should assume that his or her name is not on the preliminary list. Employees not scheduled for an award, and employees dissatisfied with the amount of their award, may file an appeal with the Appeals Board. Only employees who have self-nominated in the beginning of the process are eligible to appeal.
- The Appeals Board includes the president, provost, vice presidents, deans, and other administrative staff selected by the president. The board will consider written appeals of no more than 600 words. The board meets in closed session, and testimony or personal appeals will be by invitation only.
- Written appeals, addressed to the president, must be postmarked or hand-delivered to the President’s Office by 5:00 p.m. November 5, 2008. Copies (not originals) of the appeal must also be provided to the associate vice president for human resource management (secretary to the Appeals Board) and to the appropriate vice president, dean, director, and department chair.
- Appeal candidates will be notified of the outcome of the appeal by November 17, 2008.
- Discretionary awards will be reflected in the paychecks dated December 10, 2008.