Buffalo State College Policy on Persons with Disabilities
From the Senior Adviser to the President for Equity and Campus Diversity
It is the policy of Buffalo State College that no otherwise qualified person with a disability shall, solely by reason of the disability, be excluded from participation in employment or access to programs of the college. The following statement appears in the Directory of Policy Statements:
- The State University College at Buffalo will not discriminate against any employee, applicant for employment, or student because of physical or mental handicap with regard to any position or program for which that person is qualified. This commitment is applicable in all employment practices including but not limited to employment upgrading, demotion or transfer, recruitment, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation, and selection for training (Policy No. VI:01:03, 1985).
- Although the statement pre-dates the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, it does express the college policy with regard to persons with handicapping conditions that can be related to persons with disabilities as in the more recent federal legislation. In carrying out this policy, the college shall make a good-faith effort to reasonably accommodate the physical and/or mental limitations of an employee, applicant for employment, or student unless such accommodations would impose undue hardship on the operation of the college.
- The college will not deny an employment opportunity to an individual because the individual has a relationship or association with an individual who has a disability.
- The college will not knowingly participate in a contractual or other arrangement that subjects an applicant for employment, an employee, or a student with a disability to unlawful discrimination.
- The college will not discriminate or retaliate against any individual, whether or not the individual has a disability, as a result of an individual opposing a discriminatory practice, filing a discrimination complaint, or participating in any way in enforcing the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Students with need for special services related to disabilities should contact:
Interim Director, Disability Services Office
South Wing 120
Faculty and staff needs should be addressed with the Human Resource Management Office.
Complaints and Grievances Related to Allegations of Discrimination Based on Disabilities
The State University College at Buffalo will follow the SUNY Grievance Procedures for the Review of Allegations of Discrimination to resolve complaints of unlawful discrimination based on disabilities.
Complaints are filed in the Equity and Campus Diversity Office, Cleveland Hall 415, 878-6210, 1300 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, NY 14222.
Complaints should be addressed to Dolores E. Battle, Ph.D., senior adviser to the president for equity and campus diversity, who has been designated by the college president to coordinate the ADA compliance efforts.