Buffalo State College Policy on Alcohol and Drug Use in the Workplace

From the Vice President for Finance and Management
In compliance with the Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, employees of Buffalo State College should be aware of and must adhere to the policy stated below:

  • The unlawful use, possession, manufacture, dispensation, or distribution of controlled substances in all Buffalo State College work locations is prohibited. The term “controlled substance” means a controlled substance in Schedules I through V of Section 202 of the Controlled Substances Act (21USC812).
  • Employees who unlawfully manufacture, distribute, dispense, possess, or use a controlled substance will be subject to disciplinary procedures consistent with applicable laws, rules, regulations, and collective bargaining agreements.
  • Employees must notify the Human Resource Management Office of any criminal conviction for a drug-statute violation occurring in the workplace or at a work site no later than five working days after such conviction. An employee so convicted will be required to satisfactorily participate in a state-approved drug-abuse assistance or rehabilitation program as a condition of continuing employment.
  • No employee will report for work or will work impaired by any substance, drug or alcohol, lawful or unlawful. “Impaired” means under the influence of a substance such that the employee's motor senses (i.e., sight, hearing, balance, reaction, or reflex) or judgment either are or may be reasonably presumed to be affected.
  • Medical testing may be done if the college has a reasonable suspicion that an employee is unable to perform job duties due to the misuse of alcohol, controlled substances, or prescription drugs.

The Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available on campus for employees who wish to seek assistance in dealing with drug- or alcohol-related problems as well as a variety of other concerns. Information on the program and a current list of EAP coordinators can be found on the Human Resource Management Web site.

Questions regarding the Policy on Alcohol and Drug Use in the Workplace should be referred to Emmanuel J. Hillery, associate director of human resource management, 878-4822.