Fourteen student leaders and six faculty and staff members represented Buffalo State College in Washington, D.C., on January 20 for the inauguration of the nation’s 44th president, Barack Hussein Obama. Battling subfreezing temperatures and a crowd of more than 2 million people, the group witnessed history as America’s first black president took the oath of office and ushered in what he called “a new era of responsibility.”
Strategic Plan 2009–2013
Buffalo State embarked on a planning process through a stakeholder’s conference in October 2007. At that time, the framework for the college’s next strategic plan (2009–2013) was established.
Unfortunately for today’s college students, the job market is bleak, tuition and other costs continue to rise, and a reliance on loans is the norm for many. But when it comes to managing credit, there are some factors students can control.
Geraldine Brooks, Pulitzer Prize–winning author of March, will speak about her new bestseller, People of the Book, at a lecture and book signing hosted by the Art Conservation Department at 8:00 p.m. Thursday, February 5, in the Performing Arts Center at Rockwell Hall. Leslie Zemsky, who organized the event, will introduce the author.
- SUNY Board Executive Committee Names Vice Chancellor John J. O’Connor Officer-in-Charge
- Response to College Senate Recommendation: General Education Requirements for Transfer and Readmitted Students
- Response to College Senate Recommendation: Advanced Foundations of Inquiry (BSC 301)
- Curricular Actions
- Provost’s Corner
- Internal Control Standards
- 2009–2010 Alumni Association Scholarships Available
- Call for Nominations: Student Leadership and Humanitarian Recognition Awards
- College Senate Meeting
- Open Forums: Strategic Plan, Academic Plan
- Curricular Items
- Buffalo State Contingent Attends Inauguration
- Financial Literacy Training Aims to Help Students Manage Money
- Pulitzer Prize–Winning Author Geraldine Brooks to Speak at Buffalo State
- Patrice Cathey, Director, Liberty Partnerships Program
- Julian Cole, Assistant Professor, Philosophy and Humanities
- Marianne Ferguson, Professor, Philosophy and Humanities
- Susan Maguire, Lecturer, Anthropology, and Elizabeth Peña, Director and Professor, Art Conservation
- Rafika Merini, Associate Professor, Modern and Classical Languages
- Gerald Nosich, Professor, Philosophy and Humanities
- Susan Mary Paige, Lecturer, University College
- Ivan Rodriguez, Lecturer, Theater
- John Thompson, Associate Professor, Computer Information Systems
- Carol Townsend, Chair and Associate Professor, Design
- Amitra A. Wall, Associate Professor, Sociology, and Joe Marren, Associate Professor, Communication
The Richardson Olmsted Complex, which opened more than a century ago as a sanctuary for the insane, could begin its second act with a transformation into a hotel surrounded by a public park.
Bill Ganley, professor of economics and finance at Buffalo State College, thinks the latest unemployment figures are just the tip of the iceberg.
Bruce Fisher, visiting professor of economics and finance who has worked for three U.S. senators, thinks the governor picked Gillibrand because she’s an upstater he can run with in 2010. “Is she interested in foreign policy? Who cares. What we care about, what Western New York cares about, what the whole country cares about right now is the economic crisis,” Fisher said.