- Include department or individual name in return address. Without it, mail will be returned.
- Include a completed blue meter slip with department account number, department name, and signature. If special handling is required, please indicate this on the meter slip.
- Seal all manila envelopes and over-stuffed envelopes before sending to the Mail Room.
- Overlap the flaps of business-size envelopes, and make sure they are all facing in the same direction.
- Separate international mail from domestic mail. Also, please separate Canadian mail (postage is different).
- If enclosed mail includes a staple or paperclip, please make sure it is not in the upper right corner, where the meter will affix postage. Staples and paper clips damage the meter machine.
- Do not mix pre-stamped envelopes or interoffice mail with mail to be metered. Please make sure the blue meter slip is attached to the mail, either with a paperclip or a rubber band.
- Cover all nonprofit organization permits on letters or manila envelopes with a blank label before sending to the Mail Room. These envelopes cannot be processed in the meter machine unless permits are covered. Mail with uncovered nonprofit permits will be returned.
- Please inform the Mail Room before any large mailing. We can bring a cart to your location. This is much easier on the drivers.
To have mail metered, please: