The Lackawanna City School District Youth Town program aims to improve student achievement and to increase the number of students making healthy choices and decisions by building developmental assets. Youth Town will accomplish this goal by providing supervised, structured after-school and summer academic, social and recreational activities for students enrolled in the four participating schools (Truman Elementary, Martin Road Elementary, Lackawanna Middle and Lackawanna High school).
CEURE works with the program providing tutors working to meet the academic and social needs of the youth, including tutoring, homework assistance, and math and language arts skills.
The full program includes:
- Extended day, after-school and summer programs with academic intervention assistance.
- ELA and Math skill development that the Youth Town programs and to select which activities that they would like their child to participate in.
- Development of external assets that will support and empower young people to set boundaries and expectations about positive and constructive use of their time.
- Development of internal assets that will help young people to make thoughtful and positive choices.
- Physical fitness and recreation programs.
- Opportunities for students to be involved in visual and performing arts.
- Vocal and Instrumental music.
- Community service learning projects.
- Leadership skills.
- Career exploration.
- Easy access to a variety of services in during the program. Student work is displayed so parents can see what their child accomplished.
Project Director: Dr. Warren Gleckel
Program Director: Jennifer Schreiber
- The U.S. Department of Education
- The New York State Education Department,
For more information on the program go to the Lackawanna City School District Youth Town siteFor those interested in tutoring for the program go to CEURE Paid Tutoring Opportunities