Frequently Asked Questions


Is Connect with Science only for science majors?
No, this program is open to students in Buffalo State’s seven STEM departments. This includes: biology, chemistry, earth science/geology, physics, mathematics, computer information systems, and technology.

What are the benefits of being in a learning community?
Joining a learning community (LC) is a great way to start your college experience. Students in a learning community take the same courses and get a chance to interact both in and outside of your classes.  Buffalo’s Urban Environment, is a themed LC especially developed for the ‘Connect with Science’ program and in addition to learning more about Buffalo’s environment, you’ll have the opportunity to explore career opportunities in science, math, engineering, and technology.

How do I learn more about problem-solving sessions?
Problem-solving sessions are scheduled as part of your introductory course and your attendance is expected. These sessions are led by faculty and provide an opportunity for you to review difficult material and practice solving homework problems.

Why should I conduct research as an undergraduate?
Undergraduate research is one of the best ways to learn more about a subject that interests you. It allows you to apply what you’ve learned in class, explore a specific topic in greater depth, and interact closely with your faculty mentor. The experience may help you make decisions about attending graduate school and can enhance your career opportunities. Undergraduate research is a way for you to enhance your educational experience, learn more about yourself, gain confidence, and contribute new knowledge to a particular discipline.

How soon can I start participating in research?
Connect with Science offers the opportunity for students to conduct research in the summer between the freshmen and sophomore years. Students carrying out projects present their findings during the annual Student Research and Creativity Celebration. The Undergraduate Research Office also has programs to support materials and travel associated with conducting a project, student stipends to support research being conducted in the summer, and when you are ready to present your research, there is support for expenses associated with travel to regional, national, and international meetings. All funding requests to the Undergraduate Research Office require the completion of an application and the support of your faculty adviser. Learning how to request funds also develops important skills, and your faculty mentor will help you complete the application.

How do I get started?
You can learn more about the Connect with Science program at our website: and find out more about undergraduate research opportunities at: