College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Our course credits by examination program serves students who seek recognition for achievement acquired outside conventional college classrooms. It helps those entering Buffalo State as well as those already matriculated. College Level Examination Program (CLEP) are the proficiency exams recognized by Buffalo State for college credit. Any undergraduate at Buffalo State may receive a maximum of 30 semester hours of credit, and with departmental approval may receive up to a maximum of 12 semester hours of credit toward a major program via proficiency examinations.
How to schedule a CLEP Exam
Registering for a CLEP exam is a 2 step process that requires 2 separate payments. The total cost for a CLEP exam = $105.
Test takers must create a personal account through the My Account registration portal. This account can be used to select the exam(s) you intend to take and pay the $80 CLEP exam fee. CLEP recommends that test takers utilize Google Chrome or Firefox browser.
Once you have registered, please e-mail your CLEP exam registration ticket to Buffalo State, Continuing Professional Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org. In the e-mail please indicate date and time that you would like to sit for the exam. Please include your phone number in the e-mail.
Saturday, September 13, 2014, 10:00 a.m..
Seating is limited, and appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis. An e-mail will be sent to you confirming the date and time of your appointment.
On the exam day, be prepared to bring the following to the test center:
- A valid registration ticket from My Account registration portal.
- Money order for $25.00, made payable to: BSC Continuing Professional Studies, for the non-refundable administration fee. Money orders are the only form of payment acceptable. No cash, personal check or credit/debit cards accepted. US dollars only. You cannot sit for the exam without this payment.
- Your driver's license, passport or other government issued identification that includes your photograph and signature, as well as a secondary form of ID that includes a photo and/or your signature, such as a student ID. You will be asked to show this identification to be admitted to the testing area. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your registration ticket.
- Military test-takers, bring your military ID and Social Security card.
- Home-schoolers, if you do not have the required government-issued ID, please complete a Student ID Form, which is valid for one year. The form must be accompanied by a recognizable photo, with a school or notary seal overlapping the photo. The form must be signed in front of a school official or notary. If you fail to present appropriate ID, you will not be tested.
Information in the course equivalency table below is applicable to Buffalo State only.
--> CLEP Equivalency Table
1. The CLEP exam is given on the third floor of Butler Library (Cyber Quad Room 318).
2. Directions to campus, parking information and campus map (click here)
3. Please be on time.
Additional information about taking the CLEP test at Buffalo State:
- CLEP exams are offered at Buffalo State, typically once a month.
- CLEP exams are computer based.
- Exams are approximately 90 minutes in length and primarily include multiple-questions. Some exams, like College Composition, include an essay section. Language exams include listening sections.
- Students can sit for two exams in a day.