Forward important messages (like waitlist notifications) to your cell phone
Don't want to miss important emails? In Gmail, you can setup filters to have important messages forwarded to your cell phone as text messages (SMS). Follow these steps:
Step 1: Determine your SMS address
To forward messages to your phone, you first need to figure out what your SMS address is. All SMS addresses begin with the 10-digit phone number in the format 1234567890 (with no dashes or spaces). What comes after your number, however, depends on your cell phone carrier. Here are examples for some of the more common carriers:
Please Note If your carrier is not listed above, you can visit Wikipedia for a comprehensive list of cell phone carriers and their SMS addresses.
Step 2: Setup forwarding to your phone
Once you have your SMS address, you'll need to setup forwarding to that address. In the example below, we will assume that Verizon is our cell phone carrier, and will use their SMS address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
1. From your Student Gmail account, click the Gear icon (options) in the top right corner, and choose Settings.
2. Go to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
3. In the Forwarding section, make sure the option to Disable forwarding is selected, and then click Add a forwarding address.
4. When the Add a forwarding address box appears, enter your SMS address the address, then click Next.
5. You'll receive a message asking you to Confirm forwarding address. Click Proceed.
6. You'll receive a message that A confirmation code has been sent to verify permission. Click OK.
7. An 8-digit confirmation code will be sent to your phone. When you receive it, enter it into the confirmation code box. Click Verify.
Step 3: Create a filter to automatically forward messages to your cell phone
Now that forwarding to your SMS address is setup, you can create some filters to have only the most important messages sent to your phone. In the example below, we'll setup a filter to send any message with “Waitlist Notification” in the subject line to your SMS email address.
1. From the Setting screen, go to the Filters tab.
2. Click Create a new filter.
3. In the Subject field enter "Waitlist Notification".
4. Click Create filter with this search.
5. Make sure the Forward it to box is checked, and then select your SMS address from the drop-down list.
6. Click Create filter.
Please Note If you'd like to test to make sure the filter is working, send yourself an email message with "Waitlist Notification" in the subject.