Activate your Student Gmail account
To access the new Student Gmail system, you'll need to retrieve your default password from Banner and activate your account. Follow these steps:
Step 1: Login to Banner
The first step is to login to your Banner account:
- Go to www.buffalostate.edu/Banner
- Click the Self-Service Banner button in the center of the page.
- When the new window opens click the Log in to Banner link.
- Enter your User ID and PIN, and click Login.
Please Note If you have trouble accessing Banner, try resetting your PIN. Simply enter your Banner ID and then click Forgot PIN?. After answering your security question you can create a new PIN.
Step 2: View your default password for Student Gmail
The next step is to retrieve your default password for Student Gmail:
- Click the Personal Information link.
- Click the View/Reset Student Gmail password link.
- Make note of (or copy) the eight character password displayed next to Your Default Password is. This password is case sensitive.
Important! DON'T CLICK THE RESET BUTTON unless you have logged into Student Gmail previously and have forgotten your password.
Step 3: Activate your Student Gmail account
The final step is to login and activate your Student Gmail account:
- Go to www.buffalostate.edu/cts/gmail.xml and click the Login to Gmail icon.
- In the Email box, enter your Buffalo State email address.
- In the Password box, enter your default password retrieved from Step 2 above.
- Enter your default password again in the Current password box, and enter your new password in both the New password and Re-enter password boxes, click Submit.
- Use a combination of upper/lower case letters, numbers and special characters
- Avoid using dictionary words - these are easily cracked
- Avoid using names of people you know, or names of pets
- Avoid using your phone number or street address
- Avoid using your Social Security number
Please Note For additional information regarding protecting your account, read Google's tips for creating a secure password.