A Readiness Checklist for Online Course Work at Buffalo State College
The following checklist can be used to help you decide if you are ready for online course work. To use the checklist, simply keep a tally of your "Yes" or "No" responses to each of the statements listed. Be as honest with yourself as you can, and decide for yourself if online education is for you!
- I am self-motivated.
- I am a good "Time-manager".
- I am capable of self-discipline.
- I can capably read for comprehension.
- I am goal directed - If I set my sights on an end result, I usually achieve it.
- I am confident in my academic abilities.
- I do not give up easily, even when confronted with obstacles.
- I believe I am responsible for my own education - what I learn is ultimately my responsibility.
- I have commuting problems.
- I have conflicts with work, athletics or child care and school schedules.
- I have access to a computer with an Internet connection.
- I am willing to try something new.
- I am willing to work in a non-structured environment.
- I am willing to express my opinion in writing.
- I am willing to actively participate in the learning process by doing tasks, projects, etc.
If you answered "Yes" to at least 12 of the statements, online courses may be right for you!
If you answered "Yes" to fewer than 12 statements, rethink your reasons for wanting to enroll in an online course. Decide now if you still feel comfortable with this style of instruction and capable of learning this way.