How do I become involved?

Students and faculty are invited to become members of the College Judicial Board.  For more information please visit the Office of Judicial Affairs to pick up an application.

How do I report an incident?

Any member of the Buffalo State community may file an incident report. This report can be filed with your RD, RA, or University Police, or the Dean of Students. Depending on the nature of the incident, statements may also be submitted to the Office of Judicial Affairs. All incidents must be reported in writing.

How do I file a complaint?

Official complaints can be filed with the Office of Judicial Affairs by completing the following form, or picking up a report form in the Office of Judicial Affairs.  The official complaint form must be signed and turned into the Office of Judicial Affairs. 

How will I know if I have to meet with a Judicial Affairs Officer?

You will be contacted by the Office of Judicial Affairs primarily by campus E-Mail, but students may also be contacted by phone, or US Mail.

Does Every Complaint Result In A College Judicial Hearing?

No. Complaints are reviewed by the Office of Judicial Affairs Staff to determine if the complaint is vaild, and if it warrents a College Judicial Hearing.  Students have to the right to have their case heard by the College Judicial Board, or to solve it "Informally" with the Judicial Affairs Staff.

If my case has already been handled by the court system, do I need to attend a Judicial meeting?

YES!  The College Judicial System and the court system are differnet and the College retains the right to hear cases of studnt conduct that may have already been resolved in civil/criminal courts.

Can the College address inicdents that occured off-campus?

Yes.  The College has the ability to exercise "long-arm" jurisdiction in cases involving students where there is a deffiniate and legitimate college interest. (Ex: house parties, Greek Life functions, sanctioned college events, community distubances, etc...). 

Do I have to attend the hearing?

Yes, you have to attend all hearings as scheduled. If you choose not to attend, the  hearing will be held  in your absence and you will be responsible for any sanctions assigned in your absence.

What does having a "Judicial File" mean?

All Judicial records are kept within the institution, and may impact a student in a variety of ways.  Some examples include:

  • Prior incidents may impact the severity of sanctions assigned by a hearing officer or Judicial Board for subsequent violations.
  • A judicial file may prevent students from studying abroad or partaking in other college sponsored activites or organizations.
  • Certain violations may result in the loss of student finaicial aid eligability.
  • Certian violations may preclude Education majors from gaining certifications or licensures.
  • Certian violations may result in the removal from the residence halls.
  • Judicial records may prevent students from gaining employment with certian agiencies or departments or admittance into graduate programs.                  

Do I need a lawyer?

No.  Advocates who have been trained in the college judicial process are available to you free of cost. However, if you choose to obtain legal counsel, it will be at your own expense.  If a lawyer is retained they are prohibited from acting on behalf of the student in all College Judicial proceedings.  They may only advise their client and serve as a support system.  Students are resposible for defending their own actions and choices.  Advocates who do not abide by the guidelines in the Code will be excluded from the process.

I got arrested, am I going to be expelled from school?

Sanctions are determined based on the details and severity of the offense.  The Judicial Process allows the College to impose a wide variety of sanctions.  Expulsion is the most severe sanction Buffalo State can impose on a student.  It is reserved for the most serious violations of the Code.   Depending on the incident and the impact it had, expulsion may be warrented. 

Can I appeal?

Yes, any student found responsible for violating the Code has a right to appeal the decision of the College Judicial Board.  For more information on appeals, refer to the Code of Student Rights, Freedoms and Responsibilities. 

Should I bring evidence?

Yes, but only evidence that is directly related to the case.

What if I was not aware of a rule, and I didn’t know I was breaking it?

Lack of knowledge of a rule is not an excuse for misconduct. Every student is responsible for knowing the policies and procedures of the College, so it is important for you to read  the Code of Student Rights, Freedoms, and Responsibilities. If you are unsure about the contents of the Code, please ask for clarification.

For more information please contact the Office of Judicial Affairs at 1-716-878-3051or visit us in 311 Campbell Student Union