Dear Buffalo State Student:
Buffalo State has adopted Buttonwood, an online financial literacy course designed to give you a better understanding of your personal finances and the student loan process. Buttonwood will empower you to make well-informed decisions about your finances and loan management responsibilities before you make the types of decisions that could have consequences for years to come.
We are inviting selected students to participate in this interactive program and to achieve Buttonwood’s Level One Certification.
We also recommend you play the highly adaptive and interactive life simulation called Buttonwood Life. In Buttonwood Life, you will strive to create a healthy, smart, and well-rounded lifestyle for your virtual self.
To take the course, you will need a computer with Internet access and audio capabilities. If you do not have access to a computer, you can use any publicly available computer with Internet access. Please see the information below to get started. If you have questions or need assistance, contact Ron George, Case Manager, at 716-878-4438 or at SmartMoney@buffalostate.edu.
How do I achieve Level One Certification and how long will it take?
There are two sections that must be completed in order to receive your Level One Certificate.
- Part 1 will take approximately 2 hours and is comprised of 4 modules of content, surveys and various knowledge assessments. Part 1 ends with a final exam in which you must receive a 70% or higher to pass.
- Thirty days after you complete Part 1, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part 2. This section consists of the final survey and will take about 15 minutes - after which you will receive your Level One Certification.
When will I take Buttonwood & how do I log in?
- The course opens on Monday, October15, 2012.
- To register, go to: http://buttonwood.everfi.net/buffalo/login
- The deadline for completing Part 1 is: November 16, 2012.
- About 30 days after you complete Part 1, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part 2. The deadline to complete Part 2 is: December 21, 2012.
Are my responses in Buttonwood confidential?
The course includes three surveys that measure students’ financial-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are strictly confidential; the school will only receive information about the student body as whole and will never see individual students’ answers.
For frequently asked questions, click on this link Buttonwood FAQ.
Thank you, and enjoy the course!
Charles B. Kenyon, Ed.D.
Associate Vice President and Dean of Students