Where to send documentation?

Buffalo State College students who wish to receive accommodations to allow access to programs and services of the college must provide documentation of the disability to :

Buffalo State College
Disability Services Office
1300 Elmwood Avenue SW120
Buffalo, NY 14222

Documentation can also be faxed to (716) 878-3804. A hard copy of this information with an original signature must be mailed or brought to the address above.

No accommodations can be provided until documentation is received. Students should meet with the Disability Services Office staff with their complete documentation package as soon as possible after admission, well before orientation and classes begin.

The evaluation or assessment to determine eligibility for services as a student with a disability is the responsibility of the student. The college does not provide assessment or evaluation services.

All records and documentation submitted to the Disability Services Office considered medical information. It is not shared with other college personnel (including faculty) except on a need-to-know basis without the explicit written permission of the student.

What must be included in the Documentation?
Documentation of a disability to support eligibility for services must meet the following criteria:

  • Must document the presence of a disability that substantially impairs the ability of the student to perform a major life activity necessary for the academic program.
  • Must be recent and sufficient to document the current status of the impairment and its impact on the student's ability to perform major life activities necessary for the academic program.
  • Must include a diagnosis, test scores and a description of the assessment procedures used.
  • Must include the credentials of the evaluator indicating that the person is appropriately licensed or certified to make the diagnostic statement for the disability.
  • Must include recommendations for accommodations and academic adjustments that may be appropriate to permit the student to have access to the programs and services of the college.

NOTE: The Individual Educational Plan (IEP) developed for use in elementary or secondary school DOES NOT APPLY in post-secondary education. The Student Exit Summary (SES), high school transition plan and assessment provided by a licensed psychologist or licensed school psychologists may be acceptable. Students should discuss the documentation that is needed with the Disability Services Office staff as soon as possible after acceptance to the college so that the proper documentation can be provided prior to the beginning of classes or need for other services.  If your documentation is not sufficient, you will be required to provide more current testing results before services may be provided.