Q. A student has told me that she/he has a disability.  What do I do?
A. If the student has provided you with a formal letter requesting accommodations, then follow the request as asked. If you have questions, contact the Disability Services Office at 878-4500. If the student has not provided you with the formal letter, do NOT provide accommodations without conferring with the Disability Services Office.

Q. A student has requested more time on exams. How much more time does he get?
A. The amount of time given depends on the student's disability and the documentation.  The specific amount of additional time allowed will be detailed specifically on the formal letter.

Q. Providing the requested accommodations would be a hardship in my class.  What options do I have?
A. Contact the Disability Services Office to see if there are other ways to meet the student's needs. 

Q. The student does not appear to have a disability.  How do I know that the student really does have a disability?
A. Many disabilities are hidden; we do not have to see a disability for it to be real. The Disability Services Office has reviewed the documentation provided by an appropriately licensed professional qualified to evaluate the disability and has these records on file.

Q.  Do I have the right to see the student's documentation?
A. Faculty cannot review the documentation.  This protects the confidentiality of the student.

Q.  The student is disruptive and talks during the class.  Can I ask him to withdraw from my class?
A. No.  However, the student must meet the Students' Code for Freedoms, Rights, and Responsibilities.

Q.  A student with a disability is habitually late.  Must I accommodate this?
A. No, unless there has been a prior arrangement based on the student's needs.

Q.  The student with a disability always turns in his papers in late.  Do I penalize him?
A. Yes.  The student must meet the same standards as other students, including deadlines, unless prior arrangements have been made.