XRD Analysis Lab
The PANalytical X'pert MPD X-ray Diffractometer is used extensively in our Forensic Geosciences course. It has the following basic configuration and capabilities:
- Theta-theta configuration with operational range of 0-167° 2-theta (this means that the sample stage is fixed while the X-ray source and detector rotate around it).
- Copper (Cu) High Power tube – line or point focus
- X’Celerator High Speed Detector system
- Graphite monochromomator (for suppressing fluorescence)
- Focusing Beam(powders and flat samples) and Parallel Beam optics (thin films and irregularly shaped samples).
- Sealed Xe Proportional Detector for use with Parallel Beam optics
- Fixed divergence and anti-scatter slits from 1/4 - 2 degree.
- Multiple sample stages – 15 position sample changer for powder samples, Flat sample mount sample stage, and multipurpose stage capable of supporting 10cm x 10cm x 10cm samples up to 1kg.
- Data collection and analysis software
- On-line sample identification with ICDD database and access to PDF-2 database