ADVISEMENT TIPS FOR ECONOMICS MAJORS
1. Writing Intensive: Intermediate Microeconomics (ECO307) and Intermediate Macroeconomics (ECO308) are designated writing intensive courses. All majors will fulfill this requirement by taking ECO 307 and 308.
2. Foreign Language: all students are now required to take one year of foreign language. One year of language in high school is equivalent to one semester at Buffalo State College. Therefore, two years of a language in high school fulfills this requirement; however, you must submit your high school transcripts to the Registrar.
3. Math & Quantitative Reasoning: ECO305 now fulfills this requirement.
4. Social Science: one of either Eco201 or ECO202 will count 3 credits toward the Social Science requirement. As with all general education core "cognate" requirements with 6 credits, you must take courses from two different departments.
5. Oral Communication: Senior Seminar (ECO490) will fulfill this requirement beginning in fall 2009.
6. Diversity: Women in the Economy (ECO302) satisfies this requirement.
7. ECO101 and ECO103 DO NOT COUNT TOWARD MAJOR REQUIREMENTS. However, ECO103 will satisfy the American History requirement.
8. Miscellaneous Requirements:
- All majors must complete Intermediate Micro (ECO307) and Macro (Eco308) before taking Econometrics (ECO424) and Senior Seminar (ECO490).
- Finance majors should complete corporate finance (FIN314) before taking upper level finance electives.
- BS majors: calculus should be taken prior to Econometrics (ECO424). It is also recommended that you take Econometrics prior to Senior Seminar.