Effective with the 2013-2014 academic year, the U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history (UEH) have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education (via the FAFSA), this must be resolved before you will receive financial aid.

Definition of Unusual Enrollment History

The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions during the past three academic years. Once the Department of Education indicates that a student has an unusual enrollment history, the Financial Aid office must then take action and review the academic history prior to determining federal financial aid eligibility for that student.

What Will Be Required of You

If selected, our office will notify you of what is required. We will check your financial aid history at your previous institutions that you attended during 2011-2012, 2012-2013, and 2013-2014. You are required to have received academic credit at any institution you received the Federal Pell grant while attending in those relevant academic years. We will notify you which institutions you need to request official transcripts from for our office to review. Once all transcripts have been received, our office will verify the academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant year. If so, we will notify you that you have satisfied this requirement. If you failed to receive academic credit at any institution you received a Federal Pell grant at during the relevant award years, your federal financial aid will be denied and you will be notified.

Appeal Process

If you were denied because it was determined that you did not earn academic credit, you may appeal by submitting an Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Appeal Form and UEH Academic Plan. This appeal will be reviewed by our office and we will notify you of the decision. These decisions are final and are not appealable to the Department of Education.

Regaining federal student aid eligibility

Students whose aid eligibility is denied as a result of their UEH can be reconsidered for federal student aid after enrolling for two consecutive semesters, meet the terms of an Academic Plan for both semesters, not dropping or withdrawing from (officially or unofficially) any courses after the term begins, and meeting the College's standards of Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). To review the complete SAP policy, visit