Parent PLUS loans for Summer 2012 are part of the 2011-12 academic year. Applications for a Parent PLUS loan for the 2012-13 academic year should not be made until June 1, 2012 or later to avoid expiration of the required credit check prior to the loan being originated. Credit checks are only valid for 90 days.
- Parent signs in at www.studentloans.gov using their information and Federal Pin (not the student’s)
- Click on “Request a Direct PLUS Loan”
- Complete all information and submit request for credit approval
- If approved complete a Federal Direct PLUS Master Promissory Note
- If denied, the school will receive an electronic notification and an additional unsubsidized loan will be offered to the student if they are eligible
o Exception: Under certain extenuating circumstances (which must be documented) a parent may be eligible for an automatic denial of the PLUS loan without completing the online credit check. Please contact our office prior to applying for a PLUS loan if you feel that have an extenuating circumstance. Several examples are listed below:
- The parent borrower is incarcerated
- The parent borrower has filed for bankruptcy and is prohibited from borrowing additional loans
- The parent borrower’s income is limited to public assistance or disability benefits
If the parent is not credit approved for the PLUS loan, an increase in the student’s unsubsidized loan will be offered to them in their Banner account. Based on their remaining eligibility for aid, freshman and sophomores may borrow up to an additional $4000 in the unsubsidized loan; juniors and seniors may borrow up to an additional $5000 annually. Students will need to accept, reduce, or decline any additional loan that is offered to them.
Additional information regarding loans can be found on our website: www.buffalostate.edu/financialaid/