The Geography and Planning Department provides its undergraduate and graduate students with close individual attention and innovative, hands-on experience in the classroom and in the field.
We offer two different undergraduate degrees, a B.A. in Geography and a B.S. in Planning, as well as minors in Geography, Planning, Meteorology and Climatology, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), and Peace.
By studying geography and planning you'll learn how to:
- Conduct an Environmental Impact Assessment
- Use computerized geographic tools including Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Global Positioning Systems (GPS)
- Develop and present weather forecasts
- Apply weather and climate theory to address real world issues
- Plan distribution and collection systems for water, electricity, oil, natural gas, storm runoff, and sewage
- Interpret maps, air photographs, and satellite images
- Develop plans to meet transportation and housing needs
Have a GPS? Find our Geocache!
The Geography and Planning Department has located a geocache on the Buffalo State campus. What's a geocache? Find out here (PDF).