This post-master’s degree program leads to a certificate of advanced study (CAS) in educational leadership and to New York State certification of School Building Leader.
302 Bacon Hall
1300 Elmwood Ave
Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5916
Fax: (716) 878-6033
1. Evidence of a valid permanent or professional certificate in classroom teaching, pupil personnel service, or administration that was issued by any state or national government (submit copy).
2. A master’s degree from an accredited college or university.
3. Three recommendation forms that attest to applicant’s potential as an
educational leader. Department forms may be downloaded at http://www.buffalostate.edu/graduateschool/admissions.
4. Three years of successful teaching and/or supervisory and/or pupil personnel
service experience in schools or agencies (pre-K-12).
5. An interview providing evidence of successful leadership potential.
6. Evidence of satisfactory verbal and written English language skills.
7. Acceptable score on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
In addition, all applicants should review the Admission to a Graduate Program
section in this catalog.
1. A minimum GPA of 3.0 (4.0 scale) is required to remain in the program.
2. Coursework (including transfer credit) and field and internship experiences must be completed within six years of the date of enrollment in the program.
3. An application for admission to candidacy, signed by the student, the student’s academic adviser, the department chair, and the School of Education dean, must be submitted to the Graduate School after the completion of 6 credit hours and before the completion of 12 credit hours.
4. A maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study may be included in the
5. At the completion of 24 credit hours of coursework in EDL, students may enroll in EDL 703 (Educational Leadership Internship, a 3-credit course). At the completion of the EDL 703 internship and at the completion of each field experience, a letter grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) is awarded.
6. All coursework must receive a minimum grade of C to meet program requirements.
7. A maximum of 12 graduate-level credit hours may be transferred upon approval.
Only grades of B or better will be accepted as transfer credit.
Required Courses 27 credits
EDL 552 Public School Law
EDL 606 School-Community Relations
EDL 607 Site-Based Leadership
EDL 612 School Business Management and Finance
EDL 630 Curriculum Leadership
EDL 631 Supervision of Teaching
EDL 702 Educational Leadership Field Experiences
EDL 703 Educational Leadership Internship
EDL 704 Seminar in Educational Change
Elective Courses 6 credits
Select two courses from the following list:
EDL 500 Multicultural Education
EDL 559 Principles of Creative Problem Solving
EDL 560 Methods, Theories, and Models of Creative Learning
EDL 590 Advanced School Law (course by contract)
EDL 602 Administration of Special Education Programs
EDL 608 Administration of Programs for the Young Child
EDL 610 Methods of Adult Education
EDL 652 Special Education School Law
EDL 683 Facilitation of Group Problem Solving
EDL 706 Problems in Leadership
EDL 707 Computer Applications in Education Administration
EDL 714 Personnel Administration in Schools
EDL 735 Administrators and the Reading Program
Total Required Credit Hours 33 credits
All courses are 3 credit hours unless otherwise indicated.
Empowered with broad-based awareness, knowledge, and skills, graduates are prepared to move schools and school districts forward effectively and creatively. Graduates are working in all areas of educational leadership, supervision, and administration throughout Western New York.