International Applicants

International student degree requirements

For admission to graduate study, international students must hold a baccalaureate degree from an institution that is accredited by an approved U.S. regional accrediting agency or a degree that is equivalent to a four-year bachelor's degree in the United States.

A completed international application packet includes:
  1. A completed Graduate Admission Application.
  2. A completed Application Fee Payment Form and a $50 nonrefundable application fee. Acceptable methods of payment: Visa, MasterCard, or check or money order made payable to Buffalo State College.
  3. Any supplemental application materials as stated in the program admissions requirements such as department application, letter of intent, letters of recommendation, copy of teaching certificate, or recent exam scores.
  4. Official or certified true copies of transcripts along with a certified English translation of all transcripts from postsecondary schools outside the United States.
  5. Applicants for whom English is a second language must submit a score of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) as documentation of English language proficiency. Only applicants with a minimum TOEFL score of 550 on the paper exam, 213 on the computer exam, or 79 on the Internet exam are considered for admission. Information on the TOEFL can be found at
  6. A degree evaluation is required for all students who have completed a bachelor's degree outside the United States. Applicants must submit official copies of postsecondary diploma(s)/transcripts to one of the following organizations for a document-by-document evaluation* to determine equivalency to a United States bachelor's degree:

    Josef Silny and Associates, International Education Consultants, P.O. Box 248233, Coral Gables, FL 33124, Phone: (305) 273-1616, Fax: (305) 273-1338

    World Education Services Inc., P.O. Box 745, Old Chelsea Station, New York, NY 10113-0745, Phone: (800) 937-3895, Fax: (212) 739-6100

    Students should contact the organization or visit its Web site for the most current requirements and to request or download an application. Completed applications listing the Buffalo State College Graduate  School as the recipient should be returned to the organization with the required fees and credentials. The organization will forward its evaluation report to  Buffalo State. This evaluation can take up to four weeks to complete after all documents are received. Check with the organizations for specific fee structure(s).

    Canadian Applicants: Students holding undergraduate degrees from a Canadian college or university should submit official transcripts to the Graduate School. If transcripts follow a system similar to that of the United States, they will be evaluated locally. If not, Canadian applicants will be required to comply with the above international student credential policy.

    *Academic departments may subsequently request that students obtain a course-by-course evaluation as well.
Other International Student Enrollment Information

Contact the International Student Affairs Office, (716) 878-5331, for more information about services for international students.

Student Visas

International students must show proof of financial support for the duration of studies on the Confidential Statement of Finances form. About $21,500 a year should be budgeted to cover expenses. By the time they arrive on campus, international students should have arranged for the funds to cover their college career. Payment of all college-related expenses must be made prior to the beginning of each semester.

Once an applicant has been officially accepted to a degree program, the Graduate School will mail an acceptance letter and the paperwork necessary to apply for an I-20 form. The applicant must return these forms to the International Student Affairs Office which will send an I-20 form to the student to obtain an F-1 (student) visa from the United States  embassy or consulate in their home country.

Mandatory Student Health Insurance

All international students must enroll in a group health insurance plan mandated by the State University of New York. Visit the Weigel Health Center, (716) 878-6711, for current international student health insurance costs.


International students may live on or off campus. On campus, they may live in the international residence hall, which remains open during United States holidays, or in any other residence hall, provided they move out of the hall during the holidays. Visit the Residence Life Office, (716) 878-6808, for more information.