Candidacy is a written agreement outlining the student's plan of study. All courses on the approved candidacy are the requirements for the master's degree.
- Submit the approved candidacy application after the completion of 6 credit hours at Buffalo State and before the completion of 12 credits. Transfer credit is not counted in this total. Full-time students should submit approved candidacy immediately after their first semester grades are posted.
- A minimum of 30 credits hours, including the master's project or thesis, is required.
- Minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for admission to degree candidacy.
- Only matriculated students may apply for degree candidacy.
- Write in the department prefix in which the master's project or thesis will be completed on the line in front of the option being completed.
- If requesting transfer credit, write the course information in the Transfer Credit section on the candidacy application and submit sealed official transcripts from the institution where the course(s) was completed to the Graduate Studies Office along with the application.
- A maximum of 15 credits may be requested for transfer credit.
- If the transfer course will be completed in a future semester, you must submit the official transcript immediately after the grade is posted.
- Only grades of A or B for graduate-level courses from regionally accredited institutions may be considered for transfer credit. (E.g., a grade of B- will not be considered for transfer credit.)
- Candidacy applications must be approved by all four advisory committee members prior to submission to the Graduate Studies Office.
- Submit completed and approved candidacy application to Graduate Studies, Cleveland Hall 204. Failure to submit approved candidacy to Graduate Studies by the completion of 12 credits at Buffalo State will result in a registration hold being placed on your record.
Candidacy and Degree Requirements:
- A minimum of 30 credit hours total including the master's project or thesis.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours of 600 or 700-level coursework.
- A maximum of 6 credits of Independent Study (XXX 590) may be included.
- A maximum of 6 credits of workshops (XXX 594), conferences (XXX 596), or microcourses (XXX 598) may be included.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation. No grade lower than C is acceptable to meet degree requirements.
- Completion of all coursework and degree requirements within the 6-year period immediately preceding a student's graduation.
- Official transcripts for approved transfer credit must be submitted to the Graduate Studies Office.
Changing the Approved Degree Candidacy
Changes in an approved degree candidacy must be requested on a Change in Candidacy Form. Changes must be approved by your principal adviser and one member of the advisory committee. Download a Change Form here Download Center or obtain one in the Graduate Office, Cleveland Hall 204, e-mail: email@example.com.