Forms and Policies
Candidacy (Degree Program Requirements)
Candidacy is a written agreement outlining the courses necessary to receive a degree or certificate. All students pursuing a master's degree, graduate certificate, or a certificate of advanced study must apply for and be admitted to candidacy after the completion of 6, but before the completion of 12 graduate-level credit hours at Buffalo State. A degree candidacy application must be approved by the adviser, department chair, and school dean. (Degree candidacy applications for multidisciplinary studies students must be approved by the principal adviser, advisory committee, and graduate school dean).
Failure to develop an approved program and be admitted to candidacy before the completion of 12 graduate-level credit hours at the college could restrict further registration.
Applications for degree candidacy are available from the individual academic departments or through the links of each school below. A hardcopy of the Multidisciplinary Studies candidacy form may be obtained in the Graduate School.
Requirements for Admission to Candidacy:
- Completion of at least 6 credit hours of graduate-level coursework at Buffalo State.
- Completion of all required prerequisite courses.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (B grade) in all graduate-level coursework. No grade lower than C is acceptable to meet degree requirements.
- Removal of all deficiencies and incomplete (I) grades.
- If requesting transfer credit, the Graduate School must receive an official transcript from the regionally or nationally accredited institution where the graduate-level coursework was completed. Only grades of B or better will be accepted for transfer credit.
- A minimum of 15 credit hours of coursework at the 600– or 700–level is required in all degree programs.
- Completion of all coursework and degree requirements within the six-year time limit for completion.
- A maximum of 6 credit hours of independent study may be included in a degree program.
- Coursework taken to fulfill degree requirements for one master's degree or certificate of advanced study may not be applied toward another master's degree, graduate certificate, or certificate of advanced study.
Graduate candidacy forms require several approval signatures for the purpose of ensuring the accuracy of the proposed program and compliance with academic policy. Graduate candidacy is not approved until all signatures have been obtained. The graduate candidacy includes a section titled "Completion Date," this should include anticipated completion dates. Due to course prerequisites, course availability, etc., it may not be possible to complete coursework in the term listed on the candidacy. Students should periodically check with advisers to review the anticipated completion dates.
Changes to Approved Degree Candidacy
Once the candidacy form has been approved, changes can be made only with approval of the student's adviser, department chair, and school dean. Change forms are available in department offices.
- Dean's Message
- Academic Awards
- Tuition and Financial Aid
- Funding Opportunities
- Forms and Policies
- Academic Awards
- Assistantships, Scholarships, Fellowships
- Candidacy (Degree Program Requirements)
- Credit (Alternative Methods for Earning)
- Maintaining Your Academic Standing
- Personal Data
- Supplemental Application Forms
- Teacher Certification
- Thesis and Project Guidelines
- Transfer Credits
- Facilities and Services
- Graduate Faculty
- Graduate Student Association
- Contact Us
- Buffalo State