About Scholarships

 Your own government may have financial aid available. Contact your embassy or your ministry of education for more information, since there are many awards which require you to be nominated by your government. There may also be private organizations in your home country that provide support for study in the US. Businesses, foundations, and religious groups might have funds available.

Some international organizations offer scholarship and fellowship funding for graduate students to study in the US. These include the United Nations, the Organization of American States (OAS), AMIDEAST, the International Maritime Organization, the International Telecommunications Union, the League of Red Cross Societies, the Soros Foundation, the World Health Organization, and the World Council of Churches.

Contact your embassy, the US Department of State, and EducationUSA. You should also write to the Agency for International Development, Office of International Training, Washington, DC 20523. Eligible noncitizens can receive federal student aid by completing the FAFSA.

Generally, you are an eligible noncitizen if you are one of the following: U.S. permanent resident, with a Permanent Resident Card (formerly known as an Alien Registration Receipt Card or "Green Card") Conditional permanent resident (I-551C) Other eligible noncitizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security showing any one of the following designations: "Refugee," "Asylum Granted," "Indefinite Parole," "Humanitarian Parole," or "Cuban-Haitian Entrant" A citizen of the Republic of Palau (PW), the Republic of the Marshall Islands (MH), or the Federated States of Micronesia (FM)

Check the International Student Affairs Office homepage for opportunities available to you. Be sure to investigate the Eleanor Blackburn and Frances Tyau Scholarships. Check with your department on campus.

Search free scholarship and fellowship databases. Look for scholarship or sponsorship opportunities in ethnic newspapers published in the US. Popular websites: Please refer to our handout for these and additional references.

Scholarship Search Resources for International Students