Request for Reinstatement to Legal Status

Students who were admitted to the U.S. in F-1 status, or who subsequently changed their status to F-1, are obligated to comply with the strict Immigration regulations regarding their status. If you have failed to comply with any of these regulations, it may be necessary for you to request “reinstatement to legal (F-1) status”. The Office of International Student Affairs can determine if you need to make such an application, and will guide you in the process.

Procedures For Requesting a Reinstatement

Review the requirements with the Office of International Student Affairs

  • Write a letter (to the Department of Homeland Security – Citizenship and Immigration Services) detailing you reason for requesting a reinstatement.
  • Complete Form I-539.
  • Provide documentation of financial support for yourself and/or dependents

Step 2
When the forms and requirements above have been completed, please come to the Office of International Student Affairs and bring with you the following:

  • Copies of your Passport and Visa
  • Your original I-94
  • Copies of all previous I-20 forms
  • Proof of current full-time, registered status (from the Registrar’s Office)
  • Proof of financial support
  • Proof of current health insurance
  • Check for $300.00  payable to: Department of Homeland Security
You will then be issued a brand new I-20 form that will need to be signed by you.

Step 3
After the Office of International Student Affairs has checked all of your documents, including your new I-20 form, you must then send them by registered mail and returned receipt to the Department of Homeland Security as follows:

ATTN:  I-539
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
St. Albans, VT  05479

Expect 2 - 6 months for the DHS to respond.

PLEASE NOTE: Until you hear you are reinstated to legal status, you are not eligible for any immigration benefits such as: employment (on-campus or off-campus). In addition, since your documents will be with the DHS, you may be limited to traveling outside the U.S.