Choosing a Career/Major
Place Holder
Volunteer/Service Learning
Place gif alt=
Internship Center
Place Holder
Resumes/Cover Letters
Place Holder
Place Holder
Conducting a Job Search
Place Holder
Job Listings
Place Holder
Special Populations
Place Holder
Graduate School Resources
Place Holder
Small Arrow CDC Services
Small Arrow General Information
Small Arrow Applying
Small Arrow Admission Essays
Small Arrow Financial Assistance
Small Arrow Admission Tests
Small Arrow Buffalo State Graduate Programs
Small Arrow Links
For Employers
Place Holder
For Faculty and Staff
Place Holder
CDC Logo
CDC Services

The Career Development Center is dedicated to helping students fulfill the lifelong pursuit of purpose by providing services, access to information, resources, and experiences that address individual career needs.

Graduate School Financial Assistance

Many individuals give up on attending graduate school for financial reasons. Graduate school can be expensive; therefore, it is very important to consider and apply for all types of financial aid. The most common types of financial aid are reviewed below. Also, review websites such as The Financial Aid office has an extensive list of available external funding sources here.

Grants & Fellowships - Most grants and fellowships are awards that provide the cost of tuition and fees plus a stipend (salary) to cover living expenses. As a rule, grants are given to those with financial need while fellowships are awarded more often for academic achievement. Funding for grants and fellowships may be provided by the school itself, as well as private foundations, industry, or government agencies. A fellowship sometimes requires students to provide a service to the school.

Assistantships - Awarded by individual departments, assistant ships require students to provide a service to the university in exchange for a stipend. Assistantships tend to be in the areas of teaching, research, and administration. Often times, tuition is subsidized or waived outright. Assistantship areas and responsibilities will vary according to program or department.

Education Loans - Most institutions have loan programs for which graduate students may be eligible. These programs can include the Federal Perkins Loan Program, the Subsidized & Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program, and private/state sponsored Guaranteed Student Loan Programs.

College Work-Study Program - Eligible students are provided part-time employment during the academic year and possibly full or part-time employment during the summer.

Other Employment - Some schools have arrangements with local businesses and industries whereby a student might be utilized for research or consultation.

Minority Resources - Many graduate and professional schools have allotted resources to the recruitment and retention of minority graduate students. This additional funding has created more fellowship/grant awards and has provided a greater ability to bring prospective students to campuses. Inquire about minority programs when requesting application and financial aid information from schools and programs of interest.

Updated: 10/14/2011