Join the Monthly Service Corps!
The Monthly Service Corps is a dedicated group of student volunteers who perform a meaningful service project on Buffalo's West Side each month. Students who join the group assist with project decisions and planning. All Buffalo State students are welcome to participate.
Upcoming Monthly Service Corps Dates:
- February 16 - Lafayette High School with Lafayette students
- March 16 - Lafayette High School with Lafayette students
- April 13 - Asarese Matters Community Garden with Lafayette High School students
Email Vanessa Ayivi, call 878-3289 or visit the Community Academic Center at 214 Grant Street..
Ways to Get Involved in 2012-2013
Whether you prefer one time events or regular on-going options, working by yourself, in small groups, or in large groups, the Volunteer and Service-Learning Center (VSLC) offers regular opportunities to get involved with the wider community.
- First Year Student Saturday of Service- August 25, 2012- Orientation week includes a chance to meet your new community and each other through service
- Volunteer Fair and September 11 National Day of Service- September 11, 2012- Meet with representatives from 35 area agencies and non-profit organizations and complete service projects right here on campus
- Fall Family Volunteer Day- October 13, 2012-Who's your family? Bring them along for an afternoon of service at sites throughout the city
- Alternative Winter Break- January 21-25, 2013- Celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and beyond getting to know Buffalo and its neigborhoods and people better
- Alternative Spring Break - March 25-29, 2013- Travel to Rochester, NY or the New York/ New Jersey area to serve others
- Spring Community Service Day- April 20, 2013- Contribute to the greening of the city as it prepares for spring
- Celebration of Service- May 7, 2013- Participate in the poster presentations, luncheon and awards ceremony that commemorates the volunteer and service-learning efforts of the academic year
- Alternative Summer Break: Bear Mountain Trails Project-May 26-June 1, 2013- Be a part of a volunteer-driven trail restoration and relocation project. Find out more at an information session on Thursday, April 4, 12:30-1:30pm, Bacon 115.
Download an application for Alternative SUMMER Break here.
Become a VSLC AmeriCorps Community Service Peer Leader! Apply NOW!
VSLC AmeriCorps Community Service Peer Leaders provide 300 hours of service promoting, recruiting, and supporting volunteerism and service-learning through direct work with communities in one of three ways:
1. AmeriCorps Education Corps
Education Corps members are highly qualified education majors who volunteer through the Buffalo State Community Academic Center (CAC) and provide in-class assistance and mentoring in West Side schools and after school programs, while additionally recruiting and supporting volunteer and service-learning connections.
2. AmeriCorps Health Corps
Health Corps members provide health, wellness, and nutrition education to youth and families in the Buffalo community through a partnership with a non-profit organization. This could include continuing programming at community sites, creating new programming, and conducting outreach to the community.
3. AmeriCorps Capacity Building Corps
Capacity Building Corps members will assist and collaborate with the community partner to meet an identified need, such as volunteer recruitment, community involvement outreach, evaluation and needs assessment, and institutionalizing new technologies.
Upon successful completion of 300 hours of service in one of these VSLC programs during the 2013-2014 academic year, students are eligible to receive a $1,175 AmeriCorps Education Award to be applied toward outstanding federal student loans or the cost of attendance at a college or university.
Applications are due Monday April 22, 2013 for positions starting in the fall 2013 semester.
Family Volunteer Day participants paint the gym floor at an area afterschool program site.
An AmeriCorps Education Award Peer Leader paints with children at the Ontario Street Education Initiative Summer Camp.