2013 UUP Discretionary
Award Process Outline
- To reward and encourage excellence in:
- scholarship or creative activity;
- campus and community service;
- professional performance.
- All employees in the UUP bargaining unit (faculty, librarians and
professional staff) on the payroll as of June 30, 2013, are eligible for
discretionary award consideration.
- Part-time employees and temporary employees are eligible for
discretionary awards and must be considered.
- UUP employees on leave of absence, with or without pay, are eligible for
discretionary award consideration.
III. Award Guidelines
- Discretionary salary awards paid in a lump sum and are NOT added to base
- The evaluation period for 2013 discretionary awards is July 1, 2012 –
June 30, 2013.
- The total pool of discretionary funds available is ½% of the total
salaries of UUP employees as of June 30, 2013.
- 28% of the dollars allocated for awards must be distributed to part-time
- Given the scarcity of funds, it is not possible to recognize and reward
all of the meritorious faculty and staff who are nominated.
IV. Award Process
- Faculty and professional staff may submit a self-nomination for a
discretionary award by completing the Nomination Form
and submitting it to their department head by Monday, October 21, 2013.
Self-nominations and nominations initiated by supervisors and department
heads will be forwarded through all appropriate approval levels.
For employees who have self-nominated, each level should forward the form
with a notation "recommend" or "unable to recommend" to the next level.
Employees will not be notified of the recommendation at each level.
There will be an opportunity to appeal after the President has made his
decisions and sent out letters to employees informing them of their awards.
- Supporting Documentation:
Employees may indicate on the nomination form that they have previously
submitted an Individual Information Sheet as part of the annual report
process during the Spring/Summer 2013 session. Employees who have not done
so should complete and attach an Individual Information Sheet (links at top
of page) to the Nomination Form. Employees who
wish to amend a previously submitted annual report may submit new
information (please limit to two pages) and attach it to the Nomination Form.
Discretionary award recommendations for professional staff must include a
evaluation. Instructional faculty should be prepared to make available recent
student evaluations of teaching performance should their supervisors wish to
- Department heads (department chairs, directors or associate vice
presidents) are responsible for forwarding Nomination Forms for any of their
employees who have submitted a self-nomination (indicating whether they
recommend or are unable to recommend an award), and should complete a
nomination form for any other employee they wish to nominate. All
nominations should be forwarded to the next level according to the 2013 UUP
- Deans and vice presidents are responsible for reviewing self-nominations
and nominations recommended by department heads according to the
V. Appeal Process
- Award letters will be mailed to employees by
Friday, November 15, 2013. An
announcement will be made in the Daily when award letters are sent.
- Any eligible faculty or professional staff member who is not notified
by the President of an award by the designated date should assume that
his/her name is not on the preliminary list. Employees not scheduled for an
award, and employees dissatisfied with the amount of their award, may file
an appeal with the Appeals Board.
- The Appeals Board includes the President, Provost, vice presidents, CIO,
deans and other administrative staff selected by the President. The Board
will consider written appeals of no more than 600 words. The Board meets in
closed session and testimony or personal appeals will be by invitation only.
- Written appeals, addressed to the President, must be delivered to the
President’s office by 5:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 20, 2013. Copies (not
originals) of the appeal must also be provided to the Associate Vice
President for Human Resource Management (secretary to the Appeals Board) and
to the appropriate vice president, dean, director and department
- Appeal candidates will be notified of the outcome of the appeal by
November 25, 2013.
- Discretionary Awards will be reflected in the paychecks dated December
18, 2013. The lump sum payments will
not be subject to Deficit Reduction Program deductions.