PHY 510: New Physics Teacher Workshop Additional Information
Where do you go when you arrive?
We will meet in the Science Building foyer at 4:30 on Sunday July 10, 2011. Park in lot S-1 when you arrive Sunday. For those of you staying on campus, someone will be in the Science Building foyer starting at 3:00 to direct you to the housing office. Directions to the Buffalo State College campus and campus maps are available at www.buffalostate.edu/directions.xml
Workshop Course Schedule
Sunday, July 10, 2011, we will meet from 4:00 - 7:00 PM. This is an important session, as it allows us to start right in on the physics Monday morning.
For the rest of the workshop, we will be meeting from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM everyday with evening sessions on Tuesdays and Thursdays that will run until 8:00 PM. In addition, there may be some optional evening sessions that might include large make & take projects and learning about probeware and other science equipment.
What you need to bring to the workshop
- We will be making several items that you will take home with you, so you may want to leave a little extra room in one of your bags if you are flying. You should bring a scientific calculator and may want a protractor and ruler. We will provide copies of all curricular materials, Physics Core Curriculum, and other necessary documents.
- The weather in Buffalo in July can be warm (mid to high 80’s) or cool (50’s) so you should plan accordingly – a variety of clothing is a good idea. We will be working in both air-conditioned and non-air-conditioned rooms.
- For those of you from out of town, we may organize an informal visiting to Niagara Falls. Some may visit nearby Canada as well, so you should bring proof of citizenship if you were born outside of the USA. These days you need a passport to get back into the US.
- Meals are not included except as noted below. Our plan is to arrange daily lunches for about $8/day. For those of you staying on campus, you may eat breakfast at the cafeteria or there are kitchens in the apartments.
- The evening meals for Sunday July 10, Tuesday July 12, Thursday July 14, and Thursday July 21 will be provided. Vegetarian options will be available. For the remaining evenings for those of you staying on campus, there are kitchens in the apartments or the campus food service is available. There are also many fine eating establishments within walking distance of the campus.
Summer parking permits are available at a cost of $10. We will arrange for one day temporary parking permits to allow time for you to get your summer permit.