Buffalo State College employees may rent a vehicle for business purposes, using the state contract with Enterprise Rent-A-Car. State Contract # PS65506
ENTERPRISE RENT-A-CAR Website
RENT vs MILEAGE REIMBURSEMENT Calculator
TO MAKE A RESERVATION
- Fill out all information on the Enterprise Rent-A-Car website above. Make a copy.
- Send requisition, with a copy of the confirmation, to Procurement Services with all appropriate approvals. The name in which the vehicle is being rented must be on the requisition.
- Indicate who will be driving the vehicle, what is the purpose, destination and dates of use (pick up and drop off). Put confirmation # on the requisition.
- Procurement Services will type up the purchase order and have it available for pick up by the department to take with them when renting the vehicle.
- The rental should be returned with a full tank of gas.
FOR ALL RENTALS
- Make sure the use of, and expenses for, a car rental are allowable.
- The renting of out of state vehicles should go through Enterprise Rent-A-Car and are covered under the contract.
- Rent in the name of New York State and sign the agreement as agent for Buffalo State College.
- Business vehicle rentals within New York State are tax-exempt. The tax exempt statement is on the purchase order. NYS taxes will not be reimbursed.
- Collision damage and liability insurance is included in the state contract for in-state rentals.
- Car rentals must be the most cost effective mode of transportation chosen. Most conferences provide low or no cost shuttles to and from airports/to and from conference sites, therefore car rental expenses incurred while attending a conference are usually not reimbursable.
- The names of ALL drivers should be included on the rental form. Limit of three drivers.
- For any questions regarding car rentals, please contact Procurement Services at 716-878-4113.
- Appropriate notifications must be made in case of an accident.
- Provide your valid driver's license.
- Provide your campus ID card.
- Inspect the vehicle for exterior and interior damage.
- Sign the rental agreement as agent of Buffalo State College.
- Have a safe trip.
LIABILITY GUIDELINES FOR STATE EMPLOYEES
- State employees renting a vehicle through the state contract are covered by the mandated liability coverage included in the contract. Supplemental/additional liability insurance will NOT be reimbursed.
USE OF PERSONAL VEHICLES FOR SUNY BUSINESS
- There is no state coverage for uninsured or underinsured motorists, personal injury protection, or medical payments. That coverage must be through the employees' personal policy.
- Workers compensation coverage is the same as if the employee was using a state vehicle.
- Comprehensive and collision losses to the personal vehicle are not covered by the state.
- Liability to other persons, including passengers, must be covered by the employees' own policy. If losses exceed the policy limits, the state will cover only the excess liability under Public Officers Law, Section 17.
- If the employee uses their personal vehicle for work related business travel on a regular basis, they should make sure that the personal policy provides the proper coverage.