Become a Paraprofessional!

A Paraprofessional lives in the residence halls and gives information, guidance, and support to other students. In exchange, each Paraprofessional receives a private room and a complete meal plan.

Paraprofessionals have the opportunity to

  • gain professional experience
  • develop leadership skills
  • strengthen communication skills
  • Paraprofessionals are student leaders who build safe, healthy, and vibrant residential communities on our campus that support the mission of the college.

RA Selection & Recruitment 2012 - 2013

To apply to be an RA  you MUST:  

  • have a minimum GPA of 2.5
  • be in good judicial standing
  • attend a mandatory info session to obtain an application  CLICK HERE to download the information session schedule.

If you have any Questions regarding the Selection Process please email:



Can anyone apply?

Yes, as long as he or she has completed at least one semester at Buffalo State and has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.

Do you have to live in the residence halls to apply?

No. Commuters are welcome to apply. If you are hired, you must live in the residence hall or apartment complex to which you are assigned.

What are the qualifications?

To be selected, you must

  • demonstrate leadership skills
  • show maturity
  • show good interpersonal skills
  • restrict any other part-time work to ten hours a week or less
  • attend monthly staff meetings, pre-semester training, and other staff development
  • be in good judicial standing with Buffalo State
  • be willing to return early and stay late each semester to open and close the residence halls

What do Paraprofessionals do?

Paraprofessionals lead by example. Paraprofessionals do as much as they can to create a friendly, respectful residential community and to help students in the residence halls succeed academically and personally.

As a Paraprofessional, you will

What kinds of Paraprofessional positions are available?

Within the Residence Life Office, we hire three different types of Paraprofessionals: Resident Assistants (RAs), Apartment Assistants (AAs), and First-Year Mentors (FYMs). 

Resident Assistants work with upper-classmen and live in upper-class residence halls; Apartment Assistants live in the apartments; First-Year Mentors work and live in the first-year residence halls.

What's the pay?

In exchange for your service, you get free room and board—a value of at least $8,000. Some positions offer an additional stipend. Contact the Residence Life Office at (716) 878-3000 to find out more.

What will I learn?

  • time management skills
  • knowledge of the college's academic, health, scholarship, and other student resources
  • professionalism
  • sensitivity and concern for others
  • how to work with people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles
    organizational skills necessary to plan and present programs for students living in residence halls
  • good judgment and decision making skills to maintain satisfactory living conditions

Do I have what it takes?

Yes, if you are willing to

  • develop as a student leader
  • make a two-semester commitment

When should I apply?

For more information, please contact any member of the Residence Life staff, or stop by the Residence Life Office in Porter Hall.


If you have additional questions regarding positions or the selection process, please contact:

Residence Life Office
Porter Hall  (716) 878-3000