What is e-mentoring?
The primary purpose of e-mentoring is to provide you with a network of working professionals who can help you explore beyond the classroom your educational, career, and graduate school goals. Mentors include Buffalo State alumni, employers, faculty, staff, and other friends of the college who work in a variety of social work practice fields, settings, and roles and are willing to share their expertise. It’s voluntary, it’s convenient, and it’s online.
Commonly asked questions
- What do you like/dislike about your job?
- What skills do you use the most in this job?
- What kind of salary and benefits could I expect in this practice field?
- What is the employment outlook?
- Would you recommend any specific professional organizations?
- How do most people get started in your agency?
- Are "no experience" college graduates employed in your agency?
What advice do mentees seek?
- What do you think of my taking a year or two to gain experience in the field before starting graduate school?
- What methods of job searching work best?
- What can I do to learn more about this practice field?
- Would it be possible to visit your agency?
- Can you suggest other people who might be valuable sources of information?
- How should I go about selecting the best graduate school for me?
- How do I know if I am well suited to a particular practice field?