BUFFALO STATE COLLEGE
SOCIAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL FOUNDATIONS
OF EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
TEACHER ANTI-BULLYING INITIATIVE
There are a tremendous number of statistics that are available relating to bullying. These statistics come mostly from North America but there are now, and have been, a number of studies that have taken place throughout the world that seek to understand the concept and prevalence of bullying. Here are some of the frightening statistics:
- Approximately 1 out of 3 children have been bullied and approximately 1 out of 3 children have been a bully.
- 9 out of 10 LGBT students have been bullied.
- As many as 100,000 students per year drop out of school because of bullying and as many as 160,000 students per day stay home because of bullying.
- More than 4 out of every 10 students fear going into the bathroom at school.
- On average, more than 4 out of every 10 students have been bullied online, with middle school incidents occurring at a much higher rate. 6 out of 10 students will not tell this to their parents.
- 3 out of 10 students who have been bullied brought weapons to school.
- Bullies are much more likely to have a criminal record at some point in their lives.
- Roughly 2 out of 3 students who have been bullied will become bullies themselves.
- 2 out of 10 secondary students report serious thoughts of suicide.
- Most teachers say that they intervene when bullying occurs. Most students say that teachers do not intervene when bullying occurs.
- Bullying has been present in 2 out of 3 school shootings that the US Secret Service has investigated.