Intended for faculty and administrators at institutions of higher education, as well as prospective teachers and school psychologists, this page provides information regarding certification requirements in New York State and tuition assistance available through the Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education.

Types of Certificates and Licenses (Web)

For the most recent information on certification requirements for base certificates, you can use the New York State Education Department's search engine (Web site). To make searching for requirements for bilingual extensions or TESOL certification easier, download instructions for using the search engine: Word (38KB) or PDF (25KB)

Interim Certificate:

Transitional B Alternative Certification: Frequently Asked Questions (Web site)

Summary of Requirements for Transitional C Certificates (Web site)

Tuition assistance is available for special education teachers, teachers of students with speech and language disabilities, and school psychologists currently working with ELLs to obtain their bilingual extensions. For information, contact Jody Sperling of the Intensive Teacher Institute in Bilingual Special Education (ITI-BSE) at Eastern Suffolk BOCES BETAC at or visit their Web site at